Learn inch by inch of Tragus piercing, pain involved in Tragus piercing, level of pain in Tragus piercing, different types of Tragus piercing like, Surface Tragus piercing, Anti Tragus piercing, Double Tragus piercing, Tragus piercing pain with needles and gun, jewelry used for Tragus piercing, aftercare required in Tragus piercing, Tragus piercing healing time, cost and risk involved in Tragus piercing.
The new sort of body piercing which is catching the heat and becoming popular as well as common is the Tragus piercing. Though many people consider it messy, Tragus piercing can be called as the cutest trend in the world of piercing. The trend revolves around a small piercing usually on or around the Tragus that is located near the ear canal.
Liked by men and women alike, the Tragus piercing can be accessorized by some very cool and funky jewelry like studs or rings. The Tragus piercing has a long history but is more favored by sub cultures like Goth or by the teenagers and even by the working class, at times.
- 1.What is meant by Tragus piercing?
- 2.What is the correct procedure for Tragus piercing?
- 3.How much does Targus Piercing hurt?
- 4.Infection Due To Tragus Piercing
- 5.Aftercare Required For Tragus Piercing
- 6.Recovery Time After Tragus Piercing
- 7.Different Variations Of Tragus piercing
- 8.Best Tragus Piercing Jewelry
- 9.How much does a Tragus Piercing cost ?
- 10.Find Your Favorite Celebs Donning Tragus Piercing
- 11.Final Verdict
1.What is meant by Tragus piercing?
“Tragus” is the name given to the small, triangular cartilage protruding outwards, just outside the external ear canal. Its perforation, either by using a needle or a gun, supporting the Tragus with a gauge and then, inserting a suitable jewelry is called as Tragus piercing. Since the Tragus is located just outside the ear canal; it makes the cartilage vulnerable to chance infections. Hence, extreme care should be taken in choosing a highly skilled and professional person for the Tragus piercing procedure
It is becoming a fast growing trend, as people who are fashion conscious, consider Tragus piercing as a unique body modification.Though the Tragus is less likely to generate pain as does have some nerve ending around it.Because of this reason, the person opting for Tragus piercing should be mentally prepared to bear any kind of pain, if need be.
2.What is the correct procedure for Tragus piercing?
The Tragus piercing is commonly done with an 18-gauge, tiny, hollow needle. At times, a curved needle may also be used. The ear canal is blocked with a cork to stop any harmful matter to enter the ear canal.The cork also helps in stopping the needle, once the penetration is done. The Tragus is a thick cartilage; therefore, more pressure is to be applied during its perforation. It should be kept in mind that the person getting the Tragus piercing done, needs to lie still on the back.
As soon as the puncture is done, a ring with a bead or any such jewelry can be inserted through the piercing.
It is highly recommended to choose a professional piercer first, and later on, select the correct procedure, whether using needles or gun. Once you are through with the procedure, sanitization is utmost important. The procedure necessarily begins with sterilizing the equipment and the Tragus.
2.1 Steps For Tragus Piercing
The following instructions should be carefully followed:
- The ear to be pierced is cleaned and dried thoroughly.
- A choice between two methods, either using a gun or a needle, has to be made.
- The cork is now placed behind the Tragus.
- The needle or the gun is now slowly and steadily, pushed through the Tragus with proper pressure. This needs to be done in one go. Stopping in between may become dangerous.
- The needle is to be left there for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- The tip of the ornament is then, guided through the puncture.
- The wound is sterilized to remove any blood and an antiseptic is then applied as a precaution for any infections.
- The earrings are left in the hole for an observation period of 4-6 weeks.
- It is important to keep an eye on any infections occurring in or around the Tragus piercing.
2.2Tragus Piercing Kit
A Traguspiercing kit might be used by the professional piercer, which may include the following stuff:
- A sterilized piercing needle of 18 gauge thickness
- Receiving cork
- Towelettes soaked in Benzalkonium Chloride
- Anti-Bacterial Lubricant
- Local anesthetic ointment
- Non-latex gloves
- Bead ring
- Methods of Tragus Piercing
Generally, only two methods are available to perform the Tragus Piercing that is, use of a needle gun or with a sterilized needle. Most professionals opt for using the sterilized needle. the tragus piercing pain is the same no matter which so ever procedure is used. The needle gun is a power driven tool and can harm some of the sensitive tissues in the area.
3.How much does Targus Piercing hurt?
If your body part is to be pierced, expecting pain is obvious. The Tragus Cartilage is a thick tissue with very few nerve endings and hence, the Tragus piercing level of pain is much less than what it is at the nose or the belly button. But, a considerable amount of pressure needs to be applied for effective puncturing because of which, a piercing needle with a small gauge is used for the Tragus piercing. The Tragus Piercing pain level depends on various factors.
The Tragus area is not very much vascularized. Hence, when pierced, there cannot be too much hemorrhage and it will be less messy. Since the chance of infection gets reduced, recovery becomes quicker.
The Tragus is an easy spot to pierce. And so, the pain might only last up to a minute after the Tragus piercing.
- Pain Levels During Tragus Piercing
Till now it is clear that the Tragus is a safe and easy place for a body piercing, as it has a very few nerve endings. However, the intensity of pain can be imagined on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least painful level.The experts in the field say that the Tragus Piercing incorporates only a mild pain, expected to be around 3-4. Some people also may hear a loud popping sound during Tragus piercing, owing to the tearing of tissues which takes place during the puncturing.
But, due to various other factors, the pain may elevate, depending on the individual. Mostly, the piercing procedure feels like a quick pinch in the ear. This may cause a little discomfort which may vanish within a minute.
- Factors Influencing Tragus Piercing
A number of factors can influence the Tragus Piercing pain level
The person who performs the task influences the level of pain, the most. A more skilled and experienced professional would inculcate lesser pain. This is the reason why visiting a professional piercing salon might be preferred. It also ensures a fast and risks free recovery. so it is good to select a profession who has a professional saloon and prior expericence.
Different people may feel the same pain in different intensities. For some people, it might be a child’s play, whereas, for the others, the pain just might be unbearable.
- Gun v/s Needle
Almost all professionals prefer the needle over the gun. The needle can be easily sterilized and encourages smooth and even healing of the wound with minimal chances of infection. Moreover, the needle is more precise and perfect than the gun, causing only a 3-4 level pain.
- Associated Pain
The bone behind the Tragus Cartilage serves as an anchor to some jaw muscles. Thus, Tragus piercing can lead to a pain in the jaw. This pain may prevail for a few days along with inflammation. If the discomfort does not ease off on its own, visiting a specialist for an antibiotic treatment is required.
- Pain After Piercing
In most of the cases, pain simply vanishes immediately after the Tragus piercing. It might also be possible to experience some discomfort and pain in the ear area till a couple of days after the Tragus piercing. If the pain worsens, together with prominent inflammation and evident discharge, it might indicate an infection. A specialist doctor must be visited immediately, who will recommend a course of antibiotic treatment and decide if the Tragus piercing should be maintained or removed.
4.Infection Due To Tragus Piercing
The Tragus piercing is vulnerable to infection, just like any other piercing. This might happen because of malpractices used by the piercer or improper aftercare. Since, the Tragus is a thick cartilage, a lot of blood may ooze out during and after the Tragus piercing process. If the blood flow is any more than a couple of hours, a medical practitioner should be seen.
The Tragus piercing may also be accompanied by bleeding, depending on the blood vessel located around the site.This can go on for nearly an hour after Tragus piercing and should not be worried about if blood clotting takes place
- Risk Of Infection
After the piercing, the Tragus area is swollen for up to a week or 10 days. The signs of infection may be gained by prolonged swelling, bleeding and the area turning yellow. In this case, too, immediate medical advice should be sought. A distinct odor from the Tragus or the ear may also indicate an infection.
It is advisable not handling an infection on your own. Do not remove the jewelry for easing the discomfort. Once the piercing gets packed again, the infectious bacteria get trapped in the tissue. This might drastically worsen the situation.
The wound can be irritated due to accidental injuries or devices like headsets and mobiles.
- What can be the reasons for an Infection?
- Improper hygiene is the most common reason for the Tragus piercing to become susceptible to infection.
- If Tragus piercing is done by an amateur, infections can be expected.
- Excessive cleaning of the site may also irritate the wound.
- Cheap jewelry can lead to skin irritation and infection. Hence, jewelry made of gold, silver, platinum or titanium should be preferred.
5.Aftercare Required For Tragus Piercing
One of the reasons, why the Tragus piercing is so much in trend is that it is an easy to handle procedure with a very low risk of pain. But, it is important to take good care, once the Tragus piercing is done, especially if an infection takes place. Speedy recovery can be insured if certain things are kept in mind.
- Do’s And Don’ts Of Tragus Piercing Infection
- The Tragus should be frequently cleaned with a saline solution and even before and after the Tragus piercing procedure. This helps in easing the pain.
- It is better to wash hands with anti-bacterial soap before changing the earrings.
- The Tragus area should be cleaned at least 2-3 times a week to minimize the pain and keep infections at bay. For this, a cotton ball dipped in disinfectant, such as hydrogen peroxide may be used.
- TheTragus should be left untouched for at least 5-6 days after the piercing.
- Do not let someone else touch the piercing.
- Change earrings only after 6 weeks of piercing.
- Avoid sleeping on the same side as that of the piercing for atleast a few weeks.
- The crust around the pierced area should not be scraped, no matter howitchy it becomes. It shows that the wound is healing.
- Do not go for a swim, as the water in the pool is chlorinated and may aggravate even the slightest form of infection.
- Choose dresses without high collars or hoods which might rub against the piercing and cause any irritation.
- The jewelry chosen for the Tragus piercing should neither be too tight nor too loose. It should leave some space for the air to quicken recovery time.
6.Recovery Time After Tragus Piercing
The Tragus piercing healing time may differ from person to person. Many people may get their Tragus healed within a couple of months, while some may even take up to 8 months to do so. An average healing time of around 3-6 months can be expected, along with proper aftercare.
- Some Things To Keep In Mind
- The instructions given by the professional who carried out the piercing, as well as, of a medical practitioner should be religiously followed.
- Home treatments such as applying palm oil or coconut oil help in a quick recovery.
- It is important for diabetic patients, to consult their doctor before any such piercing is done.
- The first jewelry worn, should not be changed for at least 2 months to avoid unnecessary irritation and discomfort.
7.Different Variations Of Tragus piercing
Many different options and variations can be seen in the market for the Tragus piercing. Some of them are given here.
- Vertical Tragus Piercing
This piercing is made exactly on the vertical edge of the Tragus. Unlike the other types, it punctures the tiny fold of the Tragus cartilage, coming out on the same side. Also called the side burn piercing, it usually hurts more than any other Tragus piercing. Since closed rings and studs cannot fit in this location, it is always easy to wear curved barbells.This type of Tragus piercing is more popular among girls and looks great with any simple jewelry.
- Vertical Tragus Piercing Pain
This form of Tragus piercing is said to hurt the most than the other forms. Before getting started with it, it is necessary to know every bit of information regarding vertical Tragus piercing, so that you come to know if you can handle it or not. The vertical Tragus piercing may hurt up to 4-7 on the pain level scale. This happens because of the two channels formed during the piercing.
- Surface Tragus Piercing
Being similar to the vertical version, this Tragus piercing does not go through the Tragus and rather, pinches and goes through the flesh on the Tragus. It takes lesser time to pierce and is more convenient to handle. The ease of the piercing allows a wide range of jewelry to be used.
- Surface Tragus Piercing Pain
The level of pain is worse than the vertical Tragus piercing. It can cause up to a 6-8 on the pain level scale, which is much higher than any other form of Tragus piercing. This may occur because a more sensitive and vascularized area of the Tragus is punctured.
- Double Tragus Piercing
People expect the double Tragus piercing to be more painful, as there is slow healing and more swelling initially. But, after a short duration of time, it looks like any other recovering Tragus piercing. Since the piercing goes through the ear bud, the pain level may vary from person to person, owing to their anatomy. It is a very basic and easy procedure to go through. The ear is cleaned and the needle is inserted along with the tip of the jewelry, which may be discomforting initially.
7.3.1 Double Tragus Piercing Pain Level
Rumored to cause a lot of trouble, this piercing variation is, rather easy to take up. Though it can scare people off, the truth behind it is astonishing. This Tragus piercing doesn’t hurt much.The person can experience a very short-lived, sharp pain. Here, inserting the jewelry is a tricky part and may cause some more pain which can vanish on its own in a while.
- Anti-Tragus Piercing
This is the latest and the most modern style used for the Tragus piercing. This variation focuses on the fold of cartilage between the Tragus and the ear lobe. This works as a unique body modification and helps to define a person’s personality. Since, it is a complicated variation, finding an experienced professional should be the first thing to do. The piercing procedure is an easy one, but it involves a lot of aftercare as the area is far from the actual Tragus. This might take 8-18 weeks of healing.
- Anti-Tragus Piercing Pain Level
Though this type of Tragus piercing will invoke pain, people with a high threshold can easily tolerate it. There will be ensured bleeding in the area and will soon form a crust. The piercing finds a place between 5-7 on the pain level scale
8.Best Tragus Piercing Jewelry
The Tragus piercing is a much-in-trend option for its ease of visibility and lower risk of pain. A single piece of jewelry can, at times, look more stunning than many more at different locations.There are many types of jewelry worn at the Tragus piercing. Some of them are given here.
- Captive Bead Ring
This is a common and elegant piece of jewelry, mainly opted by young girls. A stone or a gem can replace the bead.These rings are easy to wear and take off.
This elegant jewelry worn at the Tragus is a thin metal rod having balls at both the ends. They are available in circular, semi-circular or even, bent varieties. Here, both the round ends appear on the outside of the piercing thus, making it the most preferred form of Tragus piercing jewelry.
- Labret Studs
This option of jewelry consists of a tiny disc at one end and a stunning jewel at the other. It gives a very distinctive, unique and luxurious look to the one who wears it. Almost 8 out of 10 women prefer this option rather than the rest.
9.How much does a Tragus Piercing cost ?
Depending on where you live, the cost of Tragus piercing may vary. It’s costing may also depend on the level of expertise of the professional who carries it out and also on the piece of jewelry worn on it. The Tragus piercing may cost up to $45-$60 in the U.S.A. exclusive of the jewelry.It might cost up to €30-€40 in the European Union.
The price can be excused if proper care and precision are under consideration.
10.Find Your Favorite Celebs Donning Tragus Piercing
Although it was introduced back in 2005, this has become one of the hottest trends of the moment. It won’t be wrong to say that tragus piercing a late bloomer. Anyhow, the following are the names of celebrities who support this body modification with pride.
Though the idea of a body modification, like Tragus piercing, is an exciting and a tempting one, the risk of infection and jewelry rejection might linger on for as long as a year. To stop this from happening, the Tragus piercing needs to be done from a very expert professional, which might seem hard to find. But, the search is worth the wait. Choosing the right procedure and an extreme aftercare is a must. In the end, you can discover the new you, for sure.